How to Use Data to Improve the Lives of Students and Faculty
The benefits of secure, quality data collection within institutions of higher education are endless. Colleges and universities can track data on degree completion, admissions, recruitment, and so much more in order to help improve experiences for students and faculty. However, research shows that only 42 percent of higher ed institutions collect and use student data effectively, while only 31 percent use that data to foster academic success.
In this blog, we’ll discuss some of the best ways your college or university can start using data effectively to help improve the lives of students and faculty alike.
Why is data collection important for higher education?
When data is collected efficiently, securely, and ethically at colleges and universities, it can be used to:
- Provide insight on where to invest time, money, and resources
- Evaluate use of campus buildings, services, and facilities
- Monitor success of classes and other campus programs
- Manage and collect student applications
- Improve advising processes and services
- Help underserved students
- Promote diversity on campus
With so many different use cases, it’s clear that data collection is invaluable within institutions both large and small. But in order to make the most of the data university staff members collect, it’s important to first make sure that the data is accurate, comprehensive, compliant, and secure.
How to collect better data
With tens of thousands of students and faculty members to keep track of, maintaining compliance and security within higher education can be complex. However, there are several best practices and tools you can use to help improve the process. Here are some steps your college or university can take to collect better student data:
- Ensure your college or university complies with applicable laws and regulations at the state, federal, and international level
- Use secure data collection tools to help boost efficiency and privacy
- Build smarter surveys and forms that students actually want to fill out
- Integrate the data you collect with other tools you already use
Simplify data collection at your university
Why is data collection important? When data is collected properly, it can make a significant positive impact on campuses around the world. Higher ed institutions can use platforms like FormAssembly to securely collect the data they need and rely on. If you’re not confident in the quality of your data collection, download our resource with 14 questions to ask yourself about your data collection.