Disclaimer: As of June 2018, Form Builder 5.0 is the default version of the FormAssembly Form Builder. Visit the release blog post to learn about the Form Builder 5.0 improvements.
The current incarnation of our Web Form Builder is now over 4 years old. This little piece of software has certainly served us well: It has been used to create nearly 300,000 web forms!
Throughout the years, we tinkered with it a great deal – addressing usability issues and adding features – but we reached a point where we needed a fresh start. So 8 months ago we started planning out an entirely new version.
Rebuilt from the ground up to provide a better user experience, faster form creation, and exciting new features, this new Form Builder is designed for the latest technologies on the latest devices (HTML5 on mobiles, tablets, PCs).
Today, we’re ready to make it publicly available for the first time.
A brand new interface
One of the most noticeable aspects of the new form builder is that editing happens in the preview (there’s a cute acronym for this: WYSIWYG). You can type text, drag&drop content and resize elements directly. It’s like working with a word processor. It’s intuitive and very fast.
Another thing you might notice is the clean and streamlined interface, despite the wealth of features. We’ve iterated through many experiments and usability tests to ensure that we only show the relevant tools for a given action. The two features that need to be obvious to first-time users are highlighted in blue and orange: ‘Add Content’ and ‘Save’. Other features are progressively revealed as content is added.
We didn’t forget our expert users either. You can use keyboard shortcuts, set preferences to save clicks, and use the outline to quickly navigate through even the largest forms.
New and Improved Features
Here’s an overview of the new features and other improvements. We’ll cover them in more details in the next few posts.
- Rich-text editing on field labels, section and form titles.
- Easy resizing of labels and inputs.
- Reorganize your form with drag&drop.
- Undo/Redo on every step.
- Recovery from auto-save.
- Preview your form with iPad and iPhone screen emulation.
- New validation rules: time, ranges, url, length.
- Input auto-formatting with masks.
- Placeholder text support.
More layout options
- Likert scale / matrix questions.
- Easier multi-column layouts.
- Hint text can be placed below the input.
- Form title and form name are now separated. You can have a meaningful name for internal use, and show something else on the form.
- Field labels can be hidden. This is useful when the label is not needed on the form, but you need something to work with when configuring post-processing features.
- Support for right-to-left languages directly in the Form Builder.
- Preview form with localized messages.
Finally, we’ve also improved the inline help and templates can be accessed directly from the Form Builder. There are a few features that didn’t make the cut for this release. We’ll mention them in a blog post so you know what’s coming next.
Thank you and happy form building!